Friday, October 30, 2015

The Return

As I sit by the terminal on my out of Cincinnati, I look back at the fun times I had in this town. The swervy trip I took with my high school bud Kurt through Cincinnati historical sites. All the way down through downtown and thereabouts. Saw the rebirth of the area. Really really beautiful.

I made a road trip up to Columbus in a rain storm. It brought back memories of going up to see high school friends who went to college early. Also got to drive past the Horseshoe. The site of the undisputed National Champions THE Ohio State Buckeyes. But more importantly, got to burn some time with my friend Shayne, who was a big part in making bad moments in high school so much more tolerable. I kicked around a bonfire with my parents and oldest sister. To which, we barbecued chicken wings, and breaded Tyson chicken strips (this is a nutty sister). Then drove to Northern Kentucky to see my Dad's old business partner's daughter whom I've known since 3 years of age. Then a jaunt to the historical town of Lebanon, where Ashley filled me in on her family, whose Mother would share Marlboro Mediums with me. We both downshifted to Lights. Then just quit. I smoked cigars while doing yardwork at my sister's home. But more importantly, I spent a great deal of time with my niece Kayla. She is the sprite of a girl that doesn't understand the harsh realities of life yet. Nor do I want to vomit any of it. She is a princess in a castle and at 5 years of age does not conclude their situation. If I could, I would throw all my money towards her growing up to be this princess. Something I'd not been able to do with my own history. But it doesn't help. I saw this in my 16 year old nephew. A boy who had two sets of kin fighting for his attention. And then disappearing into adolescence. I don't blame him. Teens now are much more sophisticated and NONE of it has anything to do with me. I do my best to integrate my wisdom, but that's for him to figure out now. I argue with my sister that he will find his way. It took me a while and a ton of back and forth with Mom, but we eventually learned to respect each other, as we dodge landmines together.

In a sense, life is adding people to a boat dodging mines. The more people you add the more work you have to do to shift the tides to dodge these disasters. Coordinating it all, you start to gain the experience to figure it out. Until, it's just...over.

Adios to Cincinnati for now. And Happy Hallowe'en to the rest of ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment