Wednesday, October 28, 2015

My Old School

Sorry, not the Steely Dan classic.
I drove by my old high school last night. It's very different now. Re-vamped into a monster building with state of the art shit. I recognize so very little of it now. It use to be pretty bare. Though we only graduated with a few over 100 senior kids, lessee that's roughly 400 in the entire school back in 1993. Now we're talking that many in one class. So they had to expand. More kids means more money...I guess. Indian Hill High is still crazy wealthy snobs. Designer clothes, with luxury cars. You look through the halls there are the typical preppies that you could pick out like they were from the 1980's. Though class warfare wasn't like it was when I grew up, it still seems to make a difference to the have-nots. I wager.

The one thing overall is that we'r so removed from it now. Closing in on 23 years away, it seems like longer. It's hard to remember everything we went through in two decades, but a single year also changes the dynamic of the person you are. I caught up with so many people now, and for the most part, we've all settled into our lot in life. A lot have families now and are immersed in those things. Some continue to be on the fray of putting those years behind them. I understand. The sensibilities of high school must come to an end at some point. I look around my own home that I grew up in, and what started as a place where I re-live history is now a place I fight to remember who I was then. Those memories don't come to me. Neither do the emotions that go with it. It use to. But it doesn't anymore. I think the further you are from it, the longer it may take to excise it from your life. Then you can move on. I think the first step was to let go of the boozing. This seems to stunt one emotionally. Why wouldn't it? Just surprise many more didn't lean on it to dull the memories. Good memories? Maybe...but for the most part, I think we're still trying to make heads or tails of it. Even if it means through our kids.

I know everyone has moved on with their life, and the ones I've met don't look back too far. It's probably best not to. What is best is to enjoy the time you do have with who you can, when you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment