Saturday, October 24, 2015

Friday Night Lights With #25

My nephew is 16 and plays for the JV football team. Though they make him suit up for the varsity game. He stood on the sidelines for most of the game, which didn't mean all that much, since the other team ran up the score against them. I think they had sort of a sophomore slump since the week before they'd blown out a school by the score of 45-0. So, it came around early. I'm sure confidence played a part. In the bible, apparently it comes before the fall.

I didn't expect much when I saw Ben (nephew). He's 16 years old, and more than likely is sullen and removed from everyone adult. Both my older sister and I like to be cool, but he just won't have it. I started with a terrible version of teenager:
"Hey dude, what's up?"
Silence. Not even a look.
"Yeah, it's cool, maaaan. Looking big Ben."
"Yeah" his voice was much deeper. He couldn't really bring himself to look. I was there to give him dinner money. He swiped it and desperately looked for an exit.
"Hey man, I dig it. Go do yo' thing." It was embarrassing at this point. My sister was on the sidelines cracking up. You can't get to this kid. His life is football. Very little is known about girls in his life. Until now...

I saw it first hand. I guess he has a magnetism I can't explain. He's pretty tall, closing in on 6 feet. Chiseled kid features, maudlin. After the game, I went to the gate to talk to Ben. He didn't ask me much. Stayed quiet. Deb (my sister) didn't say much either, other than "take a photo with your uncle" He quietly stood as I got my photo with him. I climbed back into the stands which is when I spotted her. A cute strawberry blonde cheerleader who was just staring at Ben. You just can tell when a girl likes a boy. She beamed as we said our goodbyes to him. That's when he turned and spotted her...and it was the first time in over 5 years I saw the kid smile. To be fair, he smirked. She shot back a huge smile. It was the cutest moment I've ever seen. And seemed midwestern Ohio Americana unreal. Ben still in his uniform smiling at a cheerleader. He quickly turned away from the girl.
And I ask my sister "Did you see that?"
"What?"
"That cheerleader was eyeing Ben."
"He gets that a lot."
"And...?"
"Yeah, that's it..."
"Jesus, what a waste of youth..."

I guess we should be happy he care about knocking one up at that age, but at the same time...I would've killed to have a cheerleader look at me like that.
Anyway, it was great to watch high school football. Except, the last time I was in the stands, internet didn't exist (1993). People paid attention to the game, instead of iPhone or whatever instant messaging they did. Even my sister was guilty of it. I just watched the game, and the plays they run. Man, they are fast and big.

No comments:

Post a Comment