Monday, October 26, 2015

A Child's Perspective

My niece Kayla is 5 years old and surprises me with the most interesting observations sealed in complete sentences. Children pick up your speech patterns and regurgitate. It's very adult for her to speak this properly, but, in truth, more than likely she is mimicking you.

I realize a lot of people love their young family member, as I do. The vacant, sometimes curious but open faced big eyed smile when pressured for homework, really does a number on your toughness. The learning curve is impressive, as their little heads and brains absorb the world they live in.

The day before, I'd been hanging out with Kayla while watching over her to do homework. I spotted a odd drawing on the floor. It was a bunch of brown lines criss-crossing each other. To which I asked what it was. She told me it was a snowflake. Instead of placating this nonsense, I briskly told her that snowflakes are not brown. They are, at the very least, blue. She looked at the drawing for a little bit. Then as acknowledgement of my opinion, proceeded to grab a blue crayon and fill in blue lines in between the brown ones. She seemed content to fix the issue right then and there. I thought nothing of it again.

I went to visit my sister again today. To which Kayla had just come home from school. She was bouncing around the living room. My sister gave me her weekly homework to do with her. Kayla disappeared into her room and darted back to me with a drawing. It was a brand spanking new crayon drawing of strictly blue lines criss-crossing each other. To which I understood to be a snowflake.

It is bizarre what an effect you really have on children, whether you realize it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment