Saturday, January 24, 2015

Winners vs. Whiners


If you’ve been reading my blogs, I really don’t want you to think that I’ve a bad attitude towards humanity. I really don’t. I guess the older you get the more you start to see consistency. A lot of that has to do with what you bring to the table. For instance, the more I act like a shit, the more people will treat me like shit. Doesn’t matter color, race or religion. That’s just normal.

Unless you’re from India. Man, those dudes can take some serious abuse. I’ve talked to many people here about when they have to talk about technical support, and of course, as we know, this is outsourced to someplace “out there.” I recall screaming the worst profanities being the biggest shit to a guy named “James.” Yes, James. I’m sure he is some dude from Mumbai village trying to figure out why I was so upset. I mean, I let loose with the most abusive tirade I’ve ever let loose. The guy took it. Took the punches. Most likely flipped through a “how to handle irate customer” manual. All quietly attempting to help my dumbass. I feel really terrible about that.
For one thing, the British conquered that country. It was only by Ghandi’s non-violent campaign did they get their independence. What did they get in return? The inability to be foreign shits. Like me. They let the baby have their bottle. Let the spoiled fuckers (like me) cry and whine and scream and insult, till I got tired and just let them do their job.

What must that be like? I know some people who, if they get cut off in traffic, spend days fuming about it. Taking it out on pretty much everyone. I’ve conditioned myself to let it go. I think part of that conditioning was NOT driving hung over and pissed about life in general. It’s such a minor thing now in life, that could escalate if warranted. And it doesn’t warrant it. It’s our job to sidestep stupid moments that could last for lifetimes. For instance a fight I almost got into over a dumb football game. We could’ve fought in the parking lot of Pat’s Cocktail. Looking back, I fume about it. Because it always made me wonder. I was confident I could’ve knocked his teeth into the back of his head. I was bench pressing 220 at the time, 170lbs. But, the repercussions would’ve been awful. It would’ve been the second time that bar would’ve gotten me in trouble. Drinking and stupid behavior. Jail would not have been kind. I would’ve lost my job. Lost my place to live. Lost everything. My contention is that a lot of the homeless out there, just couldn’t draw that line. They couldn’t be seen as pussy. Or let their emotions get the better of them. They had one surge of a bad decision and it cost them. Society does this to you. It will punish even if you’re in the right.

That’s why this Patriots Deflate-gate controversy has got me a little turned around. For those who don’t know, the NFL requires each team bring their own footballs. 11 of 12 of the Patriots football during the playoffs against the Indianapolis Colts were less air by up to 2lbs. This, apparently, gives a quarterback and receiver better grip. They were supposedly caught cheating. Now, I personally don’t believe it’s cheating. Because each team could condition the ball to where they would benefit. Part of the game. In fact, I think the team that doesn’t do something to this sense, are idiots. Even if this was a “placebo” effect, any advantage is good advantage. Which brings me to my point. It wasn’t fair.

Fuck fair! That is the one thing I would impart to the kids these days. “Fair” is a place you go to get cotton candy and ride ponies. The real world doesn’t give a flying fuck about fair. I get caught up in this too. Pete Rose not being in the Hall of Fame isn’t “fair.” Fuck me. They don’t want him, fuck it. We all know who got the most hits. A record, by the way, will never be broken. They’ll probably let him in after he dies. Is that fair? Nope. Does anyone care? Nope. So, it’s not cool the Pats got an unfair advantage over the Colts. Boo-fucking-hoo. They did what they had to do to survive. This is something we’ve totally lost perspective on. Fair is a joke. As I’ve written before, I’ve gotten advantages I wasn’t qualified for. I’m certain there is a cinematographer out there that hates my guts because I don’t have the experience or knowledge that person has. So what? There’s always others who’ve done more than me who have less experience or knowledge. If it makes any of you feel better, it happens to everyone. And it sucks sometimes. But that’s what we deal with. Don’t be those crazy homeless guys who are attempting to right a wrong ship. You have to understand that things do even out. I know I bitch, whine and complain about the unfairness of life as well. But this is not a bad place to vent. Since I’m trying to get that shit out of my system from childhood. We aren’t always going to win. You know what? Fuck that. We are survivors. And that already makes you a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment