Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My Parents Are My Best Friends

...buddy...they failed.
Parents should never be your friends. They are the enemy. Not just the enemy, they are enemies that are inside your head. Because they are you. They share your DNA. They know before you know, a step ahead. Always. And they are ruthless.

My Mom transparently plays this card. She doesn't tell me to do things anymore, she coyly suggests, which comes out silly. Things like "Hey, I got an interesting idea you may like...let's get you a haircut." Yeah, shit like that.

Parents are suppose to get respect to keep you from doing stupid crap. NOT for enabling you. People who tell me their parents are their friends, man...it spooks me. So, you're telling me you tell your gangbang stories to your folks? Or how much weed you smoke on a daily basis? Friends can do this, parents should not.

Sure, they know you, know you. But they shouldn't KNOW you. I recall waiting for my pop one day coming into the airport. Ma and I were having a spot of tea. We really don't have anything to talk about. Her observations of people, are mostly in contempt. Not anger, just so dismissive. "Lotsa' people around here...like cockroaches." Yeah, cockroaches are meant to be exterminated, right Ma. Then she asks about my time in college. What exactly should I share? Butt funneling beer? Shots until blinding drunk while nose deep in some nursing student's crotch? I said "everything's good. Gettin' the ol' degree." Of course she didn't believe my B.S. Hell, I was itchy for a drink there. Instead, she just sipped her tea, quietly wondering when my pop would fly in.

They should NOT be your friends. They shouldn't have the hot key buttons to your life. They've done their job (at this point) so you wouldn't have to deal with them. It's okay to throw them a bone every once in a while. Tell 'em how your car is running or how the job is going BUT don't share personal experiences. This is ammunition later.

No comments:

Post a Comment