Thursday, January 29, 2015

Social Media 'Tarded & Sobriety

I honestly have no clue as to how to navigate social media.

I do and I don't. I think if I were smarter about it, I'd maybe find a way to extend my bullshit into a bigger audience. For now, this seems to be just the raving insane thoughts of a middle aged alcoholic. I seriously doubt any raging sud-head would down a pint and actively search for anything I've written. There are no solutions here, only thoughts. So, in terms of helping others with their drinking issues...

...here's a few thoughts:
-when waking up from sobriety, search for one thing (besides drinking, duh) that you look forward to. The first few days, it was going to the gym and seeing the same hot personal trainer chick training some old lady. Not sure which part of that was hotter.

-reward yourself but don't reward yourself. I love eating food. So, it easy to stop into my favorite Vietnamese restaurant and order what I wanted. My only thing was not to stuff it full until I got sick. Vietnamese chicken noodle soup (mi ga) is mother's milk

- drink non-alcoholic brew. Sometimes it's just the action of drinking that makes the cravings subside.

- acknowledge you are going to feel like ABSOLUTE shit. Time is going to crawl. I mean...at a snail's pace. Keep mentally active, even though you will have wet brain. It will feel like your brain is on a boat, drifting in a fog. Focus on good memories.

-give yourself permission to drink but don't do it. There's something about the idea of "don't" Naturally when prohibited, it's the only thing we think about. So, tell yourself that you will drink after a few months, but don't actually do it.

-ask old friends about yourself when you were drinking. This one is shitty. Most people seem to be more honest with you sober then drunk. Or you were paying attention to them more now than...then. They will tell you. Keep reminding you of stupid shit you've done drunk. It's annoying. You realize why you dropped them as friends. Because they are annoying.

-research others who've died from this. This is the most heartbreaking. As your mind is in a constant fog, you will face mortality. Moments of clarity, anger and hurt will come to the surface...sometimes at inopportune times. I suggest you stay silent, because in your fog brain, you no longer understand tact either.

-Don't hurry emotion. This one I'm going through now. I don't feel much of anything anymore. I use to feel a lot of ups and downs. Now...just blah. Part of it is detox, the other is that booze acted as the emotion. This is sad, because there were delusions that actually made things better. Made my outlook on life more gung-ho. Once you come to a place of reality, you start to have a LOT of doubts. It's most definitely a trade-off. But a good one, especially if you're past the age of 40. Reckless behavior is salvageable young. Disaster when middle aged.

I wish all you well. And if you have any suggestions for others, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment