Saturday, January 10, 2015

Terrorist In Paris


My Dad has an amazing mind. I mean, my mom considers him immature and goofy, but there are moments when I ask him questions that I get the wisdom of Confucious. Simple, direct and surprisingly clear. I recall watching a terrorist beheading and just sicken to my stomach. So much so, it really haunted me for a week. I went on vacation and saw my Dad. I told him what I’d seen. He seemed upset that I would seek this out. But I vented to him how people can be so cruel to one another. He quietly told me “they aren’t sophisticated people. These terrorist do whatever it takes to get their point. Uncivilized people don’t have many choices.” I’m not sure why those words comforted me. But it seemed he was admonishing their behavior, along with giving a reason to something so unreasonable. That is the power of my Dad’s common sense. Pragmatic to a fault.

He is so full of wisdom. But often unappreciated for his pearls. He doesn’t share much. It didn’t dawn on me until I puttered around Taiwan with him. His brothers and sisters (my aunt and uncles) rely so much on him. He’s the oldest now (since his older brother passed away when he was young). I think Pa always seemed, responsible. But my uncle died of some odd brain aneurism. Long before I was born. I think he’s very gripped by the concept of death. It’s never really debilitated him, but it certainly seemed t build drive in him.

I think the lesson there is that we don’t know when we go. IF you were to die tomorrow, did you do everything you could? Did you become everything you can be? One of my favorite shows is “The Simpsons.” One of the original founders Sam Simon is dying of cancer. He has accepted his fate. He lives in a castle. But is now giving it all away. He found a way to make his legacy live.
To tie it into this terrorist talk…I hope more people have fathers who teach them the type of wisdom my Pop did. I think people would try to make more of themselves NOT having to feel hopeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment