Monday, January 5, 2015

Actresses Over 50

I am desperately racking my brain on the casting choice of an above 50 year old woman who doesn't have the physique of a 20 year old. And it is near impossible. I would say 75% of women in their 50's look too glamorous for the role I'm looking for. And yes...you can make them look frumpy...but I can't get past the drive to look like a movie star. Originally I'd written this role with Ellen Burstyn in mind. She's 82 now. DAMN! She would've been perfect the same way Gena Rowlands would've been. Those stars back then were glamorous. But they were also real looking women. The advent of botox or whatever they shoot into their skull (vitamins I've heard) is really screwing up my mindset to who would be great for these roles. Also, I'm not sure how many women around this age in the generation we live now even WANT a role that paints them on the cold side of middle aged. Not that they would play sex symbols, but Julianne Moore recently played a love interest to Joe Gordon Levitt. C'MON! It's possible they just refuse to be matronly. Or at the very least, less than sexy. I wanted Joan Allen too, but she is no wilting flower. "Pleasantville" was the last time she played anyone repressed.

Actresses back in the 60's & 70's seemed to be more happy with the material. Ruth Gordon was perfectly okay for the role in "Harold & Maude." I saw "Gone Girl," and it was near impossible to make Rosamund Pike appear like she aged. Ack!

So now I've got a list of actresses over 50...which, at the cusp of that age, I wonder...how many would want to play an older part. I'm betting on the roles for women of this age group to be less than stellar. Without sounding too crass, I pray I have the pick of the litter.

No comments:

Post a Comment