Tuesday, January 6, 2015

It's Mostly About Timing

Movies are timing. It's frustrating thing to predict, because you can't. I recently watched a movie called "Big Eyes." A fantastic Tim Burton film (that doesn't feel like a Tim Burton film). I watched it over the holidays where it was just so much down time, and feeling listless about my own career. It came at a time when I felt rejuvenated to do something again. This is timing. It may not be cultural timing, but it is timing for me. Cultural timing are fly-bys like "Twilight" movies or "The Hunger Games." They created the timing for themselves. Forced into pop culture. I prefer the quiet ones that transcend it all. Movies like "Unforgiven" really re-vamped westerns.

I suppose the lesson to be learned here is to make a movie you'd pay money to watch. Being obtuse or esoteric isn't craft, it's a little bit of self-gratification. Go jerk it somewhere else and blow that load on a cheap piece. To make movies people relate to, you have to go a little bit further. Honestly, I've changed my tune, when it comes to stories I'd like to tell. When I first started in film school, I made some angry mean violent movies. They are very limited in terms of how we see life. Yes, life is violent and angry. But why should someone pay money to see me basically shit on the world? (unless you're German). I like the happier stories these days. Or inspirational ones. And before you think I've lost my mind, I should add that justifiable violence isn't beyond my appreciation. In fact, I LOVE revenge movies. Gimme "The Equalizer" or "The Mechanic" or "Man On Fire." I eat that shit up like soup.

BUT, as my personal projects go, I'd like to do something that interests me. Why we got into the business, I'd think.

No comments:

Post a Comment