Friday, January 16, 2015

Movie Roles For Middle-Aged Women

Every year...without fail...there's one. One raging idiot who after getting a reward mentions the lack of roles for women. This year, the award went to Maggie Gyllenhal.

Listen bitch, women are more represented in movies than Cambodians. Do Cambodians bitch? Nope. You're not waving the flag here. That ship has sailed. And goddamn if people don't pay money to watch a middle aged whiner whine through a female problem. I write for women. I don't put them in the situations that aren't in the very least interesting. I pitched this idea to my sister. Her first reaction "Oh, Lifetime movie." This is what people gravitate IMMEDIATELY to when they hear a middle aged woman in a movie. And I can't fight the system. No one gives me money to make this type of movie. Interesting female characters that don't have her cunting out, or being a lone detective on the hunt of a serial killer. I'm trying my best. But I'm not going to bankrupt studios or people to force your agenda. I just keep plugging away at making female leads marketable. It's not impossible, just...Scarlett Johansson will eventually lose her supple juicy face and body. At that point, we're not gonna wanna watch her be action-y. Some would say Helen Mirren in "Red" series had her be a badass. But...we're not facing reality here. She at least had Bruce Willis, John Malkovich and Morgan Freeman to bounce off from. And a stuntwoman who was half her age, and in some edit points, it's laughable. I mean blaxploitation laughable.

Anyway...the road works both ways. Women roles are tough. Good ones are tougher. Great ones, well, look to period pieces. Put your career on the chopping block as well. Take a chance on a no-name writer/director like me to do something that may change the dynamic. Otherwise, go fuck yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment