Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Makin' Movies

I was thinking about this as I was driving into work today. The cost of the average studio movie per day equates to what most of us could make a full feature for. $100k/day. They have stars though. So that changes things.

The studio system still very much excludes the casual dreamers from the rabid professional, and I consider this a good thing. Bad for me, because sometimes I jackass around. But this time, I'm dead serious about getting this movie done.

Last night I had the opportunity to talk to a friend who's made his own movie. He had some really eye opening advice. Nothing completely foreign but still truth is truth. First thing, DON'T EVER USE YOUR OWN MONEY. He'd put his house up to make his feature film. Luckily I don't have a house to do that with. 2) Find people you trust. It's hard in this industry at the level I'm working at because you have to trade experience for enthusiasm. I've shot many a movie. Done many of hat wearing. I've loaded my own cameras, driven film to lab and waited as they processed. I've served food before. And it's hard to even believe people come through due to the kindness of their heart. There are no reels or glory for Key Grips or Gaffers. There is a but a promise that they are included into your next project and get paid book price rather than negotiate a flat rate.

I guess I'm going to be one of "those people" and tell you...YOU have NO idea the stupid shit you have to think of when producing a movie. There is a ton of stuff you don't even consider until it's in front of you. And you must address it. A lot of producing is NEVER handholding. It's taking initiative. And shit changes on a daily basis.

Making movies is TOUGH, mind-bending marathon. But the rewards are immeasurable.

No comments:

Post a Comment