Monday, June 29, 2015

Water & Power


I got my department of water and power bill today. And it came out to $40. I was shocked how small this bill was considering it is for two months. So basically I spend about $20/month for water and power. I feel like I use more. And that’s a good thing. Too often I think we live past our means, and then when you really need a cushion, that bill comes at the worst times.
It also got me thinking that the power company knows how many people you live with, based on that bill. Clearly I am alone. I’m not completely comfortable in them doing this type of database calculation. But, not much I can say about it. I think they do put out a survey so that can’t say they are being sneaky about it. But they bury it as a “census” to maximize your usage. I think it may be bullshit. It’s clearly to spy.
I think I’m something of naïve when it comes to these things. When I use to buy booze and cigarettes, the grocery store would make me enter my “rewards card” (which to this day, I’m not sure how it works). This information is more than likely sold to health insurance companies. Or life insurance companies, so they can evaluate you. Though being denied a specific care because of these factors seem archaic now, considering universal health care is here. However, the fact that someone assumes this about you is unnerving. What if I had a granny who liked her Smirnoff and Camel Wides? They would attribute this to me. Or, at the very least, think someone in the household is getting second hand smoke and adjust accordingly. You know who would be perfect for this job? Middle aged women. They are busybodies who love boiling down the basics of people and slapping them with one big dossier. Middle aged women also live to be the gatekeepers of…well, anything. That much power to the powerless and largely ignored is crack to them. What better way to get back at society, the one that marginalize them based on sexuality and child birth potential then to be the thumbs up or thumbs down of young people with vices. Finally, wielding their influence. I don’t blame them in the least. Rarely is my opinion really even heard. Certainly not appreciated. That’s why I write stupid thoughts here. So I can vent. About the world. Imagine if I could swipe at someone’s life, dangling that elusive carrot to the desperate and pitiful. I should never be given this task. I would take such a uncomfortable glee in dispensing my own brand of justice to those I felt slighted me.
Or just turn in my report and let nature take its course.

No comments:

Post a Comment