Monday, June 1, 2015

A Positive Thing About The Interwebs

I got four cases. Three out of the four had HORRENDOUS foam erosion inside. So bad, I had to take the film magazines out and refurbish using goo gone. Little black flecks of foam everywhere in my apartment. The old dude I bought the camera from was from Colorado Springs, which has fluctuating weather. This gear sat in his garage for a few years. Slowly deteriorating and turning gummy.
these mofos are gummy
I spent the better half of Sunday tearing out the old foam. Or should I say "scooping out" the slimy wet goo. And cleaning as much of the adhesive as possible. Now they're mostly empty crates. So...how do I re-foam it?

I took this to the internet. Foaming crates. Which led me almost directly to a cinematographer's forum. That's the best part. I just put in "foaming crates." Apparently this was THE MOST talked about things in the internet. How to re-foam crates. It took me to a discussion about the best place in Los Angeles to buy it. All of Los Angeles mind you. Expecting I'd be going downtown or some hump-hump place in Alhambra. It was in Burbank...on my way home. I quickly then searched them on the internet. It's an industrial shop opened to the public but has EVERY foam you can imagine. Imagine my excitement (as I'm lame like this) that a foam warehouse exists.

I started to think how long it would've taken me, had the internet not existed. I'm sure I would've ended up just paying a big fee to have a professional crate foam guy do it. Which would've been found in the yellow pages (phone book, young folk). And more than likely would've been every foamer known to man, until I finally reached the crate one.

Thanks Interwebs!

1 comment: