Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Land Of Flakes


Los Angeles is that type of town that harbors people who tell you they will do something and flake. I’m not sure why, other than it attracts a TON of people pleasers. People would rather promise and then “oops-I-forgot” it then just tell you to fuck off. It’s surprising.
Recent conversation:
“Hey I have a friend who has a gig. Pays pretty good for one day”
“Oh, shit, yeah. When?”
“Tuesday”
“Oh, that’s perfect. I’ll be going out of town the next day, but I could use the money”
“Awesome, I’ll give him your information”
My friend with the gig then texted me “So this guy, you trust him?”
“Oh yeah. Completely. I just talked to him, he was down”
A few days later…and out of curiosity I followed up “Did XXX get back to you about the gig?”
“Yeah, it’s actually on a Tuesday so I can’t do it but I sent him to YYY…” (yeah, I told you it was on Tuesday)
And blah blah blah..
I had to text my friend back to make sure YYY got a hold of him. And he did. And it’s set.
Now a few of you may be saying to yourselves “Chill out, it got done.” YOU fuckers are the problem. The point wasn’t whether or not it was done. The point was YOU fucking promised. AND I vouched for YOU. I didn’t vouch for YYY. And you risked my word counting on YOU that this fucker isn’t a fucking flake (like you). Fuck! And the tap dancing this dude did, spun the whole thing like he did me a favor by sending someone else.
In fact, to make matters worst I had to reach out to figure it out. A gig I get ZERO money for and was doing a favor (at least I thought). Guess where you fall now on in my book? You dropped off the face of the Earth, as far as I’m concerned. How do people think this is OK? How is it that your word means so little to people you mindlessly offer it? This town is BUILT on your word. The flakes die on the vine. Which makes sense as to why this person I write about died quickly. Your word is shit.
I really pride myself on that when I also accept a project, shit or not…I will show on time (or early) to your project. BECAUSE I SAID I WOULD. Fucking etch that in your skull. Your word means more than you realize. If I don’t want to do a project, I say “no. Not interested.” That actually happened recently. A former co-worker sent me his script and wanted me to shoot it. It was written well, but I saw nothing interesting in it for me to be involved. “Sorry, it’s well written, but it’s not something I want to be involved in. Plus I got my own thing I’m doing now” (truth).
It really dawned on me, as I was at the backyard party a week ago when one of the producers asked me if I was going to the screening at the Chinese Theater. To which I informed her I was not involved in the film in the slightest. And she did the thing that most schmoozers can do. “C’mon, you HAVE to be there. You’re our V.I.P.” To which I just said flatly “Nah. Not my thing. I don’t like Hollywood.”
It took her by surprise. “Wow. You’re honest. Most people would’ve just said they’d be there and NOT show up. You couldn’t even make up a reason.”
Yeah, I don’t fucking blow smoke up people’s ass. If I say I’ll be somewhere, I’ll be there. If I’m interested in it. Fuck. That’s all you do.
The above would’ve been simple.
“Hey, can you do this gig?”
“No.”
Respect given. I can move on. You can move on. It’s that simple. Beware when you come into this town.
You know, it occurred to me…going through my mental Rolodex of people who’ve quit in bitterness or have not progressed, their failure is proportionate to how many times they’ve talked a lot and had no follow through. And yet, it’s never their fault. It really makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment