Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Liquor Store Location: The Search

My newest short film...I wrote specifically for locations I thought would be easy to secure. Boy was I wrong. I set out looking for a liquor store. Mind you, all I wanted was their parking lot.

I drove out to Northridge area. A divey shit-hole that had remnants of chalk outlines around the perimeter. I saw a guy behind the counter there, looked old enough to be the owner. I told him that I was making a short movie and that I needed a parking lot to shoot in. He had a phone cradled to his ear (by the way, I'm not sure who the fuck these people are calling but I've yet to step into one of these shit-holes where the guy wasn't on the phone). He waved at me, sorta' wondering what I wanted to buy. He finally shoved the phone into his shoulder. The exchange:

"Hey, how's it going? I'm making a short movie. And I needed a parking lot outside of a liquor store. I was wondering if this would be available."

He blinked. Unsure what the fuck I was trying to say. I got my tap dancing shoes on.
"I like the look of your store and the parking lot. I'd only be using the parking lot. The scene is of a guy who walks out of your store with a bag of ice. The rest, we'll be in the parking lot. We'd pay for the ice. Really quick scene. Would only need four hours."

He nodded. I was getting jacked, since it looked like he understood. Then with a thick Eastern Block accent:
"You want to shoot movie?"
"Yes, a short film. My own personal project. It'll just be four people. Five at most."
He gave me a side glance. The type that indicated I was wasting his time.
"$5,000" he barked out. My mouth went open. I'm pretty sure he saw that I thought how nuts he was. Then he explained:
"Guy come in here, I tell him same thing. He offer $2500, I say 'no'! (sure you did)."
"I can't afford that."
"How much you have?"
"Not $5,000" He definitely saw the deal I wanted.
"You think this is free? You think this business is free?"
"No. I didn't expect it to be free."
"How much you wanna pay?"
"Like $200 at most." That's when his mouth dropped.
"You think this is not business? You think parking lot is not business?"
No Yacov, people expire in your fucking no fly zone...asshole.
"Sorry I bothered you. Thanks for the time."
He waved me off, the kind that East Euros do when they want you to truly fuck off.

No comments:

Post a Comment