Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Other Side Of Money Rant

I will say this though...if you've read through my money rant...
...you can use others' fiend for the green to your advantage.

I remember shooting a feature film where production didn't wrangle in what I spent to get the movie shot. When you wave others' money at people and make them jump through hoops, they jump really high. Yes, it's convenient to have dough so you can move mountains, but it really turns one into a massive asshole when things aren't done. And people in the movie business are particular. They have WEIRD hang-ups. It's not really what people do, but it is pretty much like shoving a wad of money into someone's mouth and telling them to shut up. Which, pride aside, they normally do.

I recall being on a movie in Connecticut where it was FREEZING cold in a bar. My feet were numb, and we'd been in a yeasty smelling crap bar in Hartford. The actors had been drinking, so their faces were red. And the scene was of a table of three telling this REALLY long story about shitting. It wasn't bro-humor, the guy was regaling a joke to his friend. Everyone on the crew was miserable, I was behind the camera falling asleep. It was a five minute monologue. We did four takes of that at 5AM (in December, the sun was just peeking out from the background). Had it not been for the morning, we'd still be there. Because the director didn't care how much money he spent on film, he wanted everything perfect.

I do miss those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment