Thursday, June 25, 2015

People Do Take Yelp Personally

So my Lebanese mechanic/owner of shop was waiting with me, for my car to come down the hydraulic lift. He was just scratching his head.
"You know, bro, this bitch come in here, I try to help her, so talk shit to me on Yelp"
Fuck if I knew he read Yelp of all things.
"Really? You've got over 60 five star ratings. People see that, they know she's just being vindictive"
He completely glossed over me telling him that.
"She was calling me 'idiot', 'dickhead', saying I'm stupid, that the girl in my office is no good."

I will say perhaps 1 out of those 4 is true. But I won't say which.

I just stared at him, letting him vent. He explained to me that a girl came in for an oil change and tires and ended up getting him to fix a scratch on her car. He proceeded to spray paint it (which...I dunno, the thought of spray paint on anything is never good). Then he explained that she was a "broke bitch" who wanted things for nothing, although he was just trying to do her a favor he gets "fucked in the ass." Colorful people. I was curious and found the review. Yes, it's mean, but it wasn't unfair. The girl did put up points and was very detailed. Frustrated and angry, she also resorted to name calling. I think if I were the owner of this auto shop, I'd as soon let those types of things go, instead of trying to be too helpful. Sometimes people need to hear "no."

I didn't realize how much Yelp owners take seriously. I guess, for mechanics, it is FAR more specific. One bad rating does send people away. He went on to lament how slow it's been for him. Business-wise. I think it's been weighing heavy on him. He seems to be really sensitive to what people think of him. I guess it's hard when you come from a country so far away and trying to make it. People pleasing extends to a point where you start to hurt yourself. I suppose as long as the customer is happy. I think an American one would as soon tell you to go fuck yourself, then waffle about getting fucked in life.

Who would've guessed Yelp meant so much to people. Makes me think twice about the scathing reviews I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment