Wednesday, February 8, 2017

The Army

My nephew is going into the U.S. Army.
I am incredibly proud of him for his service to America. Proud that he will give himself the discipline and determination to make a great soldier...
..
...
So why do I desperately don't want him to go?

When I was a teen, I sidestepped the military because I valued education. And there were more people who volunteered than drafted. That was the first Gulf War which very little happened. Most likely you's die from boredom than enemy fire. We are in a different world now where young men are sent into harm's way, and some don't come back right. I listen to podcasts where soldiers do return...but are different. They've seen in done things in polite company can never be discussed. Humans going against their natural tendency of not killing.

And everyone's experience will be different my nephew's safety is what I'm so worried about. I rarely see him exercise common sense. And charm isn't going to make enemies any less aggressive. Especially if you are infantry. I considered myself so lucky I grew up in between wars and never had to consider it. I feel so sick my nephew does. Not just him, but anyone who serves.

Is this decision right? I'm wishing it was never on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment