Sunday, April 10, 2016

Young Face...Or Young Spirit


People are generally surprised to meet me. I have no idea why. When I write to them in emails, and then when we meet, I completely see it in their expression: THIS…THIS is who I was corresponding with?
I have no idea why. Other than…in person I am much shorter and skinnier then people probably imagine. It happened twice within the last three months. The first time the person wasn’t even that tactful. She blurted out “you seem so…young.”
I try my hardest…yes…my very HARDEST to disarm people with a calm, jovial demeanor. This includes cursing freely like a sailor. But that’s not what sets off the “young” thing. I’ve always gotten that garbage about seeming so young. The unfortunate part of that is…no one takes you remotely seriously. It really sucks because it is an impression industry. The minute you think it’s someone else and you get a surprise, it’s hard not to react. I react interiorly, so I’m not exactly innocent when it comes to what I imagine and what I get. Speaking of which, that’s most likely WHY. We live in our imaginations. People who work in movies conjure up so much more than the reality. It seems so silly now why that wouldn’t translate to life.
Anyway, in emails I can be whomever I want to be. Chances are the way I present myself in writing seems much more mature than the doofus they get. Shocking no doubt. But it’s a common adage that putting your thoughts down and having time to formulate ideas mean so much more than the person you speak to in person. Their voice, body language and everything else encompasses ALL you soak in. Give a bad impression in person…you’re done.
I don’t think it’s much of a surprise that in emails, I may come off as very curt, professional and just-the-facts. When they meet me, they don’t see that guy. They see a post-college graduate in his Dad’s suit. I blame how short I am.
I lamented to my friend Rachel about it. She pretty much stated what should've been obvious. The two people that I've recently met, are film enthusiasts. They aren't old either. But the impression of people who love film are that they are old codgers. I get it. Traditional film making ON film means you probably were born at a specific era which makes sense EXCEPT...
My friend Banner is much younger than me, and he has a young face and he loves film. I should ask him the reaction he probably gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment