Friday, April 8, 2016

Old Racism


I probably should say, that when I tell you I feel sorry for the White folk of America, I meant the White folk I knew in Cincinnati. The people I grew up with spent almost a lifetime now resenting that they were lumped in with slave owners and bigots. Much like if you lived in any Far East country, it’s a small pool to draw from if you have to find someone to marry that isn’t bigoted.
For the most part, White folk have been really kind to me. Though often…misled by…being uncomfortable. I recall many interactions where they would tell me I looked like Jackie Chan. I don’t look ANYTHING like Jackie, but because world view is so boiled down to conversation that starts with “you look like…” it’s unfair to categorize it as bigoted, because they haven’t seen many other Asian actors (could be another reason why the Academy wants to diversify). There was no malice in referring to me as another Asian actors. Most women do that that guys they find attractive. In hind sight it was mostly to be friendly. But, as a young Asian guy in Cincinnati, my first reaction was to get shitty with them. Youth has a way of making the world revolve around you.
Cincinnati White folk also have the awful stigma of someone like Marge Schott in their history. It wasn’t enough this place was populated by Germans during the war, here come good old female Hitler to remind us intolerance comes in many sizes and shapes. She was the one that didn’t believe the Holocaust happened and other outspoken things that got her banned from baseball. Can you believe that…Cincy has TWO figures banned from baseball…for life (Schott is dead now, so…).
But, what people have to realize, before they go the distance with White folk in Cincy, is that, at least they’re trying. Being back in Ohio last October, I had a chance to go into the deep “ghetto” of Cincy. Well, at least it was when I grew up there. Pleasant Ridge is a misnomer. Well, kind of. It’s low income area, which has re-gentrified into hipster art world and young White families. As I was away, people had grown older and have resettled into this now decent community. I went into this local chili shop by the name of Pleasant Ridge Chili. In my youth, I’d go late at night with friends, as they were the only ones open past bar call. The place had an ugly 70’s vibe. It was crowded with the street dregs of the town. In those days, the jukebox would scratch if someone like me walked in. I endured this because I actually think their chili is better than the standard Skyline, which is a Cincy staple.
So I took a lot of eyes and a lot of long waits on service. This was in the 1980-90’s.
I went back in October and things have changed. The old men sit around at the front counter reading papers and chatting with the waitress. As I sat down, I got a smile and a “hi hun.” Service was prompt and kind. And the old guard (who probably lived through Vietnam) went about their day. A few probably wondering how someone could eat a plate of spaghetti chili, a coney cheese dog and fries at 9 in the morning. Maybe the old racists migrated to retire in lily White Miami. Who knows…BUT…
I don’t think you can credit any other color of people of doing their best to accommodate where they can, in today’s society. Shit, the older I get, the more intolerant I am. I think it’s a marvel to think that, as a whole, White Cincinnati desperately wants you to not think they’re racists. While, if you were to call me racists, I’d cackle with delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment