Sunday, April 17, 2016

More About Writing

Although I put this in a blog, I rarely think of the responses I probably get from my rants. Eye-rolls or whatever. It doesn't matter. This is perfect training ground for...just writing. Most people don't get this far and it's bizarre, since I'm not paid for it. Neither is anyone else, if you think about it. They do it to express themselves. In screenwriting, we're talking mechanics. I'm certain there are people out there that would take a template of a movie and copy, paste and change names. Initially, when I first got out of film school, I wanted to train myself into how screenplay structure worked. If I were smart, I spend a lot of time copying complete scripts by typing them all out. It's a humongous waste of time for people who could already conjure up images with their words. For me, it seemed like the more I wrote, the more I comprehend. I can't do it just by taking classes. Nor did it really sink in reading them. I marveled at the structure of a screenplay. Is there any other type of writing that you're taken MORE seriously for writing less?

There's a frustration to writing because...I'm not sure. I think people get too bogged down by their logic...maybe. I have a friend from high school who was curious how I could produce so many story ideas. Reading back on a few of them...I would've thought that kid retarded. They are BAAAAAD. But who cares. They're in a binder and a relief they're not in my brain.

A lot was because the English language is actually my second language (some would say...third...BAD English being my second). I use to read my parent's English dictionary to look at words and their pronunciation. Americans take the language for granted (as I've learned to).

Language is so specific sometimes. And I get it. Most people don't want to get it wrong. But again, I stress...DON'T be bogged down by your own insecurities of writing. Again, I heard from a friend that he has ideas but nothing on paper. He has a tough time putting it down. Why? IF you are passionate about the story...WRITE IT THE FUCK DOWN! Perhaps it's the fear that it isn't a good idea. I get it, it is a massive waste of time that something you felt so passionately about fizzles out. Or you discover the story doesn't work. And? You gained experience. This is the part you go uphill on the roller coaster. It will eventually hit the peak, and then you get the thrill of the downward thrust.

People with attention deficit abandon their stories. So what? Come back to it later. I constantly revisit scripts I've ditched. These are scraps of story that you may find other solutions to later. The point is to get it out of your head. Or maybe it's just more hot air. Who knows? When people talk about wanting to make movies, YOU HAVE TO MAKE MOVIES. Whether they work or not is inconsequential...for now. It boggles my mind how people talk so much and do so little. It's a fragile craft that requires the strongest will. Some have the privilege of being closed off to society or their opinion that it matters (let's be clear, no one's opinion matters but your own). Being criticized by what your art is awful. Because you feel you have the sensibility of...the community. Chances are, you don't. But there is a niche you can get. They may NEED your art. You don't know.
The point is to practice. Keep writing and doing and making. No one cares what you do. AND you get to keep learning. It sucks. I know. You're alone and wondering if this story is any good or why this one is so bad. Laziness isn't an excuse. It is SO much easier to sit back watch a movie and try to learn. I say...that's good, but dissect that movie and figure out what works.
Yeah, it sucks...but it must be done. You have a story you love and would want someone else to put tons of money into it...it's worth your attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment