Monday, April 18, 2016

Jury Duty Over

The young-ish Korean guy's wife was waiting for us outside after we filed out. The verdict was NOT in their favor. The man just lost $1.5 million dollars. Which most likely went to pay the older Korean guy's lawyers. No one won. But the Korean guy's wife, named Kathy...she gave me an envelope with my name on it, thanking me for my service on jury duty. I'm not sure if I was touched or angered about the waste of time and money. But I know she did it for the sake of pride and...a little bit of shame.

I saw a few jury members hugging and shaking hands with both parties after the trial. It was awkward. Or maybe...I just witnessed what it means to be an adult. Forgiveness and moving on. This ended an odd chapter between two men...a father and son scenario where in the end, again...no one won. They are both still very wealthy. And just made the lawyers wealthy. The only one who suffered were us on the trial. Actually just me and one other lady...as alternates...yeah we got ZERO say in the outcome, but the law required we be there anyway. And if it weren't for Judge Babs (as I called her) thanking us profusely for our patience (and a nod/wink to my constant eye rolls) I'm sure I would've spat on the floor and left in disgust. It was a gigantic waste of time. But whatever, two families have this version of closure. The story may continue, but, as I did for 5 of the 13 awful days in captivity, this is where I get off the train.

I can't help but feel though...I am changed in terms of how I view justice. It's a dull grind to a brick wall. This journey began with 200 schlubs in a bullpen boiled down to the 15 that were selected for THIS specific case. I know the panel I was with had a sense of...community. I think they even took a group photo for social media or something ridiculous like that. OUR justice system displayed in conflict can unite and walk away friends.

I chose not to participate. But do I miss those ragtag bunch of jurors I've spent time on the deserted island of downtown Superior Courthouse? In the words of William Holden at the end of "Stalag 17"
"If I ever run into any of you bums on a street corner, just let's pretend we've never met before."

No comments:

Post a Comment