Saturday, April 9, 2016

Bond...James Bond


If I were to pick a dream movie to make, it would be two types. One would be a western. Something like a “Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid” type movie. Westerns have always been one of my favorite genres, because it’s so raw. The idea that living to survive with the basics,  I think taps into the core of humanity. People in the wild west just…existed. Everyone also had a vocation. There was the blacksmith, the teacher, the priest and it all functioned to help the community. I always imagined myself out on the prairie sleeping in the dirt under stars. Granted, a snake or two would sneak in, but…it’s just great to live that simple. It’s also funny how we really haven’t evolved that much from that primal side of ourselves. We love to build fires and damn if I didn’t like chili so much. I think back in those days though, chili was strictly to kill the whisky shits.
The other type of movie I dream of making is a James Bond spy movie. Lately, they’ve been trying to “hip” it up. I HATE that. Guy Ritchie is the most recent offender. Making “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” First off, it was two guys…and secondly they don’t even mention what the title meant till the end. What garbage. And people are too suave in this version of spydom. The most influential Bond in my day was the Roger Moore ones. They’re silly but epitomized the high style of fun without going “Austin Powers.”
Here’s my pitch, Bond is a double agent who goes undercover to infiltrate diamond smugglers. One of the smugglers being the Prime Minister’s daughter, whom Bond seduces. Or does he? She’s a cold blooded blue blood. Since Bond being such a great assassin and a dubious past with MI6, it’s natural that he attempts to change sides. Bond goes so deep he eventually grows to care for the woman. Something he shouldn’t feel. The diamonds are meant to be funding for a new terrorist organization meant to annihilate Turkish refugees in Belgium. It is the same template for “The World Is Not Enough” except Bond’s conflict is that he can sympathize with the cause. Does he go with duty to country knowing his allegiance means that he must go against his own moral code?
I dunno, sounds stupid now that I’ve thought about it. I haven’t slept much lately. So there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment