Monday, October 17, 2016

I Need To Get To KMart!

The elderly lady blasted out of the retirement home door and onto the sidewalk where I waited for the bus. She wore sweats. With unkempt hair. Something agitated her.
"You know when the bus comes?" She demanded info from me.
"Yeah...you can see it from here." Down the street the bus chugged along. Maybe 5 minutes, I thought.
Her look was a bit wild and somewhat desperate

"How much is it to ride the bus?"

"A dollar seventy five cents" thinking I should've explained in her era money. Like "50 tuppence."
She seemed to holler " I have 2 dollars!"
Why did I even follow up "yeah..they want exact change. You'll be donating a quarter." Naturally it didn't compute.
"I have to get to KMart! I have to buy Christmas presents"
Why oh why do I want to know "um...it's October."
She seemed to lean into me. Study my expression. Her eyes narrowed. Her hair seemsd to get wilder.
"Yeah...s'kay. It's on layaway anyway."
We both got on the bus and she got off three blocks later...at KMart.

Now that I think about it...she may have just escaped from the retirement home.

No comments:

Post a Comment