Friday, November 27, 2015

X-Mass Music

I imagine a starter pistol at the CD/MP3 player to launch the barrage of Christmas cheer right after Thanksgiving. My friend does it right after Halloween. I had this college friend whose Mom had it up year round. She was massively depressed (also a speech writer for the Ronald Reagan administration...stress enough I guess).

I don't mind. In the world of awful Soca music, electronic dance, Bieber and Mariachi, this is a Godsend. It's the one type of music that reminds me of my time in Ohio. Somehow I feel the winter again. Since this fucking town doesn't have seasons. So, it's pretty cool.

What's the most annoying Christmas song? I think "Feliz Navidad" is, it's pretty repetitive. "Jingle Bells" is way too peppy for riding around the wintry landscape. Maybe not. I should try it. I'm guessing few could sing with bitter ice cold blasting you in the face. I remember going to King's Island amusement park during Xmas time. Man, the smell of roasted chestnuts was great. The cinnamon smells. Burning fire. Just, warmth due to emotions. People seem to be in a better mood because of Xmas music, so why fault it? I will say, try listening to it on the off-season. It's really odd. I could still listen to "Monster Mash' in March.

Incidentally, I think slowly Christmas is inching towards the whore-dom that Halloween is. That women can dress slutty on this holiday. I approve, but "homewrecking" Christmas just doesn't have the same darkness that comes with Halloween. Mariah Carey comes to mind. Look at these hammers, talk about CHESTnuts!:

Anyway, try not to kill yourself over say...Charlie Brown's Christmas. That music is bittersweet. Nice pleasant tunes, but still has a melancholy to it. I guess that's the reflective part. But if you do listen to Charlie...go ahead and dilute it with Wham!'s "Last Christmas." Knowing what you know now about George Michael...the music video cracks me up now:

No comments:

Post a Comment