Monday, December 1, 2014

Taking Money For Your Skill

Ya know, I'm really bad at taking people's money unless it's a faceless corporation. I have no idea why. Like for services rendered (that aren't sex related, naturally), it's really difficult for me to charge people. I think the artist part of me always likes giving away art. Sharing it. Somehow putting a price on it makes it seem...cheap.

People, if they like what you do, will throw money at you. I found myself throwing money at my sound mixer, because he went above and beyond anything I could imagine. I would almost guarantee you he felt weird taking money. Even the discussion of being paid for creative work rendered is SO awkward.

I think this is what separates successful artists from great artist that have a side business. The ability to value what you do more than other people value it. It's a really hard thing for a lot of creative types to accept. That it IS a business. And you have to ask for things. Even though it is sometimes very uncomfortable. I can bet you a few of my jobs in the past , if I had only asked for a larger sum, they would've given it to me with no hesitation. It's all in our heads how much we think our services mean. In a job where it is serviced in a sense of direct give-n-take (for instance waiter)...it's set in some societal norm to collect 'X' amount. It's established. For your own skill and art, it's different. There is no set amount. It's so much easier when someone can tell you how much that service is worth. I am often shocked and grateful when the amount exceeded what I had in mind.

I think in order to be a successful artist, you need to get that off your shoulders. There is no shame in taking money for your craft.


No comments:

Post a Comment