Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Better Pick What You Wanna Do And Stick With It

I have a friend who knows me as a cinematographer. He's seen my films as director, but he still sees me as a cinematographer. Always will. I could make the next billion dollar "Star Wars" movie. He'd still think of me as "the cinematographer that directed 'Star Wars.'"

He's a stuntman. No one sees him as a director. He's directed a feature film. Cost him millions. Good movie or bad, he still directed it. And people can't look past his history of being a stuntman. He's phenomenal as a stuntman. Has been in blockbuster movies. Can't get anyone to trust him as a director.

How sad we are as people.

I am not quite sure why we do this. But I think it makes people feel better that they have a bead on you. As a cameraman, I do speak a different language than a director or writer. It's more artistic than technical (believe it or not). Very few cinematographers really understand the optics of lenses. Nor why you choose a lens. They do know what they like to see.

I guess, a discipline is also a very admirable thing. If you are what you say you are and do what you do, you must've spent years studying your craft. Maybe, some people don't want to insult you. For instance, if you are a cinematographer, and you tell people you write...their immediate reaction is to be a little shocked. No, no, no...you INTERPRET what smarter people have written. Or they say "well, at least you know the visual language."

If you are ever on a set, and you're something other than what you're doing at the present time, DO NOT say what you REALLY want to do. You'd think you turned the person blind from sharing your hopes and dreams from the eye rolling you'd see. You will get a great tap dancing show though.


No comments:

Post a Comment