Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Pitching Ideas To Low Attention Span Theater

I was having lunch with my friend Jessica. She's only 21 years of age and is a go-to model whenever I'm trapped to do something creative. She lives nearby. She'd reached out to me, desperate to something creative. Get back into photos.  Had I been irresponsible in high school, she could be my daughter. She has the same disposition of my nephew: bland. I think social media had melted their fucking brains. They've no real interest, just floating about until someone pushes them into something. Anything. They also lack highs and lows. It's just...blah. People of my generation get amp'd over stupid shit. Proud of it. Or, in some cases some of the grunge types buried themselves in Ritalin.

So as I was sitting there, trying to get a bead on her personality, I start rambling. If I'm not entertaining her, I'd at least entertain myself. I pitched her a few ideas (as she was navigating through her phone). I had three stories I'd told her. She finally looked up from her pho ga (Vietnamese chicken noodle soup) to say "sounds like you like looking at the past, and fucking with it...I'd watch that." Then went back to looking at her phone. Fact...I don't even think she looked up from her phone. Like I was some Dad at the breakfast table.

Man...tap dancing like a dumb monkey to entertain kids is tough work. Like a desperate weird-o looking for approval, I took whatever I could. And it felt good this hummingbird attention-spanned chick was throwing it out like table scraps. But...here's the odd part: I knew she meant it.

Now I think if I can hold the attention of this type, I must have something worth working through.

No comments:

Post a Comment