Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Loyalty In The Film Industry


Loyalty is a HUGE thing in Hollywood. Didn’t expect that, eh?

It’s true. I’ve been involved with a lot of projects who I constantly run into the same crew members. Some might say, “well, they know what they’re doing and they know how I like to work” and this would be true. But I think most productions are also very superstitious. Some wear the same underwear the whole production. They listen to the same song every morning before work. Or they have a lucky pen used for marking up their script. I’m no different. My ritual is simple, a cup of Earl Grey tea (it’s actually been in one of my deal memos/contract). It’s just the motion of drinking it. An elixir before stress.

I know I’ve pissed people off in the past with my on-set curmudgeon-y ways. I am cranky. Any behind the scenes video shows me in total contempt. I often wonder why people would want me on set at all. I gather it’s their ritual to see my stupid angry face as the wake up call of the morning. God, I hope not.
I also think that making movies does have a clubhouse/gang mentality. You do for me….I do for you. Tomorrow’s production assistant becomes the green-light guy in the future. Loyalty goes a long way. As does follow through. Finish what you start. Don’t let things self-destruct. I like working with the same people because new people are a liability. You don’t know their demeanor. Their idiosyncratic behaviors. I’ve been burned a few times dealing with complete strangers (have been burned being loyal as well, specifically a key grip that had worked with my gaffer, which I would consider more a stranger). It’s hard to crack into the inner sanctum of what has been established.

So my advice to you is to always always always find a way to get your own loyal band of merry men. You will float through life easier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment