Wednesday, December 3, 2014

People Pleasers

Man...one of the worst conditions when you get into the entertainment business is that you are (or become) a people pleaser. "Yes sir, right away...already with ya'" It's aggravating, because the reality is far worse than anyone that would come upside your head with a fist.

I hate being a people pleaser, and I hate people pleasers. Not hate. But can see how transparently I disgust them. Recently I'd just been fed up. My wet brain blurts out a lot of random angry thoughts. And I don't filter at this point. I think that's the same case as my previously nutty roommate. She was a people pleaser. She would feel that she allowed me to do things even though I'd come forward with an open door policy of telling me when things are wrong. She never did. Until it built up. And exploded. People pleasers are scary this way. Because deep down inside, we're sick of 1) always doing others' bidding 2) not being to express how stupid we think you are.

People aren't stupid. Not helpless. They take advantage of people pleasers hoping to see where you draw the line. I think as you get older, you do draw a tighter line. Unable to want to step in and do above and beyond. Since you're never appreciated for what you've done, nor respected for what you've done. People pleasers are someone like Robin Williams. They will snap. Either at themselves or others.

I think the best way to combat this is to just let the baby have their bottle. If you find someone who is trying really hard to please, step back let them do what they feel they need to do. Whatever you do, DO NOT constantly be appreciative. I think this is where it really derails. When a people pleaser gets validation. If you are a people pleaser, figure out why. What is the approval of someone have to do with you as a person. It's strange how much more leverage standing your ground becomes to people who try to test your limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment