Saturday, December 20, 2014

"Appaloosa": A Western

I finished watching an Ed Harris directed movie called "Appaloosa." It was released in 2008. It's a western. There is a strange axiom in Hollywood, that we shouldn't make a western. It doesn't sell. I have no idea why. It's got so much drama, dirty filthy whores, and death. It's got adventure and so much brother against brother violence, how can this NOT be movie fodder.

Nope. They don't want it. It just doesn't sell. I think it's because the youngsters who go to movies these days don't feel that type of limited time on their hands. A LOT of these people didn't live past their 30's. Young folk don't even care about people in their 30's. Anyone ever consider making a teen western? Yup. It failed. I think it was called "Texas Rangers." And it failed so bad, NO ONE will ever touch that genre again. Course the same people didn't believe a teenage vampire movie would've sold, had it not been for the "Twilight" bullplop. Lesson to be learned, it is very much timing.

I think "Appaloosa" was poor timing. It's actually a funnier movie than people realize. I think westerns are pretty grim. Harsh reality of survival that don't play well with free-spirited young folk. The old folk like watching them try to survive under the conditions. Or they just like horses. They don't spend the type of money mid-range teens to slightly over 20's do. In fact, given the senior discount...you can count most of their box office toast.

I've always wanted to make a western. I remember my Dad and I would watch westerns all the time. Guy LOVED John Wayne (hated Indians for some reason). He loved the wide open spaces. The newly formed frontier. The guy barely spoke English, but knew the story right away. This is a HUGE lesson for filmmakers. Tell a story a non-speaking American could understand. I really just want to make a movie my parents can understand. I think it's a great joy to see them impressed with what I've done. Specifically because my Pop and I use to go to the movies all the time. It'd be nice to share with them what all the hard work amounted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment