Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Make Your Own Shit...Make It Now!


I heard one of the more inspiring things recently. “Do what you do, be unique, throw out your talent and people will find you.”
It may seem pretty straight forward, but you’d be surprised how many people wait around their phone doing absolutely nothing and expecting it to fall from the sky. Globalization is now, and with the internet, NOT doing what you want in life is your own un-doing. I feel like shit now and I think I’ve done…a little…okay, not enough.

I’ve made very little money doing photography. But it’s “out there.” I get a ton of international fans. By fans I mean, weird e-mails that tell me how much they like my shots. They use them as inspiration, I guess. Little good it does without mullah behind it. That’s fine. It does tell me that people are drawn to them. Europeans mostly. I got a “fan” letter from a guy from the Netherlands. Creepily bending my ear and expertise. Not sure what I can tell people, except that they will put up their art, and someone will praise them the same. The ones that bug me are when I send an email to others to tell them I dig their work. I get nothing back. That bugs me. Sure they have a ton of fans. But it’s not that hard to send a note of appreciation. Get closer to the people who value your work. That’s how I feel anyway.
Another thing I’ve noticed though, with globalization is that, making things accessible to foreign markets. A movie that has very little dialogue does well around the world. We can’t rely on just the people we serve anymore. The people we serve are too savvy now. Total dickwads anyway. They have nothing but spite for product you make. I know, I’m one of them. Your success is their failure. Making films for international audiences is the place to be. They clamor for your point of view. For two reasons…1) their world sucks 2) pretty people are born outta’ the mutt’itude of Americans. Yes we are beautiful people because we’ll fuck anything. And that makes stunning looking people. In Taiwan, everyone looks the same. They’ll admit to it. Imagine if you lived in rural Kentucky. You’d get bored of looking at inbreds (just kidding Kentucky, you know I love y’all).

So, make shit for foreign markets. Put it “out there.” Don’t be scared about what others think. And flood the market with your genius. It goes back to what I wrote a few blogs back…you have to have enough material to bury the market. It may suck (probably will) but what’s the alternative? Dealing with assholes at work who guide your life? Who schedule your life? Fuck that. It should make you angry. Makes me furious.

No comments:

Post a Comment