Wednesday, December 10, 2014

"Revolutionary Road" thoughts (possible spoilers)


Finally got around to watching “Revolutionary Road.” It’s a solid flick, but one where, if you’re in a long term relationship, you will get a sense of why this movie rings true. Although, not a complete depiction of mundane married life gone wrong, you get a brilliant moment that I’ve had in my own intense relationship that one person just stopped caring altogether. And what transpires from that is this dead-inside feel.

There is a moment where the Kate Winslet character runs into the woods, just to get some space to think. I had a moment similar happen to me. There was nothing I could say or do to make it better. She just hated the sight of me. The idea that we’d even slept together, more than likely, sickened her. Nothing….I mean nothing was going to change that feeling. As much as I’d felt differently, or wondered if we could’ve re-captured that intense passion, it was dead in her. And there’s no turning back. In the movie, the next morning was the harshest. Polite conversation between people who once had intense love for one another, treating each other respectfully is death. I’ve gone through this as well. The sense is that there is no room for talk anymore. All that is over. What exists is a semblance of a relationship, at a stalemate. Neither wants to speak of the fight the night before, because (in my case anyway) she didn’t want to fix what was broken beyond repair. Get this fellas. There will be a moment, no matter how much you try, she will be repulsed by you. I’m not sure why this is, but it happens to every single long term relationship person I know. I think it’s because they get sick of your stories. Or your mannerisms. Or your stupid fucking face. That’s not to say you don’t feel the same way. But to a guy, a woman who loses that challenge, is still a great moist hole to bang. To a woman, she’s checked out emotionally, vacant. Dead eyes. I pity the man on the receiving end of the dead eyes of a woman. Not that you kill her. But she no longer cares about you. Or what happens to you.
To the guys out there who get burned, I wish you the best in losing that feeling for her before she does of you. Because…you won’t know it. She’d already checked out a year earlier and prepared herself (steeled herself) for the pain that follows. You will feel blindsided, angry and hurt all at once. For the guy, I hope you have the mental capacity to sustain that shot to the ego. Because it hurts like a bitch. Especially if it’s the first. Because, it sure as shit won’t be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment