Sunday, December 14, 2014

"Poolside" Thoughts After


“It was like Malick meets Fincher” wrote one watcher. “…like watching a car wreck slowly unfold” wrote my friend Ashley.

These were the reactions to a short movie I made recently called “Poolside.”

I was thrilled when it was completed. It’s been a while since I made anything and decided that, in the shadow of sobriety, why not make something. And actually shoot it on film. It brought me back to my film school days. A little rougher trying to get people to help. But was equally thankful for the people who did. I’m not sure ANYONE understood what we were trying to accomplish. Sans my lead actor Vince, whom I’ve done many a project with. He was brilliant. And I hope whatever I write here never goes to his head, but the word “sublime” would be me being extremely understating how great it is to find someone who already figures out the character you’d conjure in your head. I don’t always agree with actor’s methodologies, but whatever got him to where he needed to be, needs to be kept doing (hope that made sense).

The story, without ruining too much, is about a guy who lives in his own head. On a bright sunny day, he wakes next to a beautiful woman. They seem to have a loving relationship. Relaxing under the sun. So full of love for each other. But it’s an illusion as most love eventually becomes. Something sours in him. And he desperately holds onto happier past memories, that appears to be a little too idealistic to truth. What is it about their relationship that doesn’t sit well with us, is revealed in the end.

I thought a lot of people, especially in today’s society, can relate to a fleeting burst of passion fizzling as quickly as presented. The germination of the idea came with a girl I’d met at a bar one night having two dates with her, and she just vanished without rhyme or reason. In my day, you’d at least hem and haw and give a poor explanation. But, people build SO much in their minds about what a person is. And we don’t live in that world anymore. My friend Jared told me that relationships are like that now. He had a co-worker who’d gotten stood up by an online date, then he took to the social media to berate the woman publicly. He came off as a total toolbag. Jared had to explain to the guy that people are like that. They come and go. And we no longer have that luxury of well….want. Yes, the concept is wanting. Wanting something so bad you build someone to be something they’re not. Or the excitement of getting an opportunity to grow a relationship. Fuck that. People come and go. And if you don’t impress within a few minutes, they disappear. And it’s true on both sides of the coin. Guys disappear just as quickly. And for just as dumb reasons.

I digress. “Poolside” to me was a true labor of love. From everyone involved. Here’s something that may come as a shock to some people. People REALLY REALLY REALLY want to hate your movie. Listen, my script was 3 pages long. THREE. It took some effort to get people to read it. I don’t even think the actress read it. The final cut of the movie was 5 minutes long. My creative consultant took a week to read it.  Then an additional two weeks after completion (months later) to finally watch it. This is the guy whom I’ve gotten great feedback from, having read it. AND, I’ve told him repeatedly the projects I’ve been involved in. The talent I’ve worked with in the past. Still, I got the sense he thought I was some schlub (I mean bigger than tolerable). I mean truth be told, I don’t look like much. However, keep in mind, he’s also a struggling screenwriter, with no credits.

People want to hate your movie, because they feel forced to watch it. And…to be honest…there is only a downside to watching any friend’s movie. If it sucks, you have to make up a lie as to how it can be better. If it’s decent, you still have to spend your valuable time to watch it. And most short movies are bad. Just terrible. So the odds it will be good, are very very very slim. Conversely, I do think people like surprises too. Especially if it’s crafted decently. I think we may be too saturated with a digital world that a ton goes on the wayside. I mean, there are too many digital looking movies. People are sick of jittery, gonzo crap. I think people are clamoring for classic style again. For formality.

Anway, today as I was at work, he beelined to me in the office shook my hand “Man…great film man. Really great work” He’s the type that would avoid you if it sucked. Yeah, he was impressed of what a band of gypsies could do. My point being…I am very proud of this project. I’m not sure why this stands out more than my other ones. I think, because it was done so off the radar. And it was like (Werner Herzog has opined) tugging a boat up a mountain. Also, it’s very methodical. My film school friend was very impressed. And he was one of the dickier people back in the day. What impressed him, was the maturity…I think. And I think it’s being less about faking moments and rather letting moments unfold. What a lot of people say, allowing the scene to dictate the pace. During production, it was mentally painful. Trying to set goals for myself. Hating the cut. Being okay with the cut. Shopping the cut. Losing all hope. Finally dragging a sound mixer to finish the movie (polishing what I thought was already done…in my head). Trying to move on with other things. Needing to finish something. ANYTHING. Finally, the completion, where now it belongs “out there.”

One thing I’d learned from my hero Billy Wilder, is that you leave the end as quickly as possible. Say what you need to say and get out before the audience knows you’re gone. I try my damndest to do so.
On to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment