Saturday, November 29, 2014

Looters


My friend and I have a debate about this. Maybe he’s older and has more wisdom on this. Or maybe it’s me being a hothead. I personally think that looters should be shot on sight. As the son of a small business owner (now retired) I can’t imagine a group of people who would break into my Pop’s place and steal something he’s worked so hard to build, only to be told he can’t defend his business and must look on helplessly.

My feeling is that it would send a message to future looters that this is intolerable. HIS stance was that nothing you own is worth a person dying for. Fucking bullshit. They know it. You have to follow it. And it’s total garbage. I get at the base of the thought, yes…material things do not equate to a person’s life. HOWEVER, that person taking from you doesn’t know whether or not your business  is a matter of life and death. Say you get looted. Don’t have money/insurance against looters. Now you have to restock at your own cost and fix everything that is burned or broken. This would mean you have to ask the bank for another loan. Where’s the collateral coming from? Frustrating that this would’ve been completely side-stepped if potential looter knows HIS life is on the line. This country must be fucked up that you can’t protect your business as logic dictates. The rules imply that you can only shoot if you feel your life is in danger. Honestly, I think if someone is destroying your business they are jeopardizing your life.

You know what REALLY sucks about this? Criminals usually know the laws and the system better than you do. All you have is what you believe at the base of humanity what is right and wrong. We don’t have the luxury of studying what you can get away with or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment