Friday, December 4, 2015

The Death Of Scott Weiland

Frontman for Stone Temple Pilots died at 48 years of age.
I don't remember much about him, except, my college girlfriend had a massive crush on him and I'd bought "Purple" at a second hand record store when I was in high school. Worked at K-Mart at the time and saved enough to buy that and No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom." Sort of understand how long ago that was.

I also believe, he lived in the shadow of grunge. Whereas, Mudhoney had the low-fi sound, he was constantly compared to Pearl Jam, a more popular grunge band. Stone Temple Pilots to me always seemed like the Go-Bots to Transformers. A day late and a dollar short.
From what I gathered, shortly after their massive success of "Big Empty" on the soundtrack of "The Crow" he seemed to plummet into heroin abuse. It was pretty common in the early to late 90's for those rockers to still live that lifestyle. Today, the rockers are sort of...nerds. Now, they lived that Motley Crue style debauchery. Which comes as no surprise that Scott died so young. Why live to old age being a weirdo like Paul McCartney or Jimmy Page? It's a sad decline when you live past your bandmates. I would think it being equivalent to being the last at the party. People hold you to high esteem but pity you for living in the shadows of the dead they can speak of.

He died on a bus on tour in Minnesota. Which...in some odd way, I suppose, fits the extinguished youth lifestyle former rockers maybe always believed they would go out as. You're doing what you want to do. Made enough to prove nothing. And being at the break line between the decline of music stolen on the internet. The road seems to have claimed him. And maybe remember him in a bus that will never stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment