Monday, December 14, 2015

Pete Rose NEVER In The Hall Of Fame

When I went home to Cincinnati...I visited and old friend from way back in high school. In their basement is a shrine to Cincinnati baseball, including a specific area for Pete Rose. I loved Pete Rose as a kid. The guy was a hustler. He went to every base barreling forth like a freight train. I wanted to be like him, just go at everything with that much reckless abandon, all to earn what I got. He's got 4,256 hits beating out Ty Cobb for the most in history. In perspective to 2015, if Derek Jeter would've played 10 more years, with his average, he would catch up.

He was a hometown kid, who made it big. Taking the Reds baseball team to another level. He's been turned down again to be considered for the Hall of Fame and to be reinstated into baseball.

As I was talking to my friend and spewing all the outrage of my position on this matter, which I believe if he's not in the Hall Of Fame, that place is a sham, she sat there quietly listening. Then she softly contended "Pete Rose should never be in the Hall of Fame."

I went ballistic. Screaming this, that and the other. How he changed the game. How his play on the field had NOTHING to do with his personal life outside of it, and that no one knows the full details and fuck everyone for not seeing it this way. Then with as much patience she simply said "but he broke the only rule baseball really had."

I took pause. After my tirade about the level of cheating involved with enhancement drugs, corked bats, philandering, racism, and abuse...the basic rule, and the only rule they really enforce: "don't gamble on baseball" was willingly crossed by someone of his stature.

At this point, as much as I believe in his greatness and that his record will never be broken, I am so compelled to agree with her now. Pete Rose, while being all these things, also really tread on a different level that felt he was above the game. Forget following the rules for a minute, he was instrumental in making the rules. And he still stepped over that line. For what purpose, other than arrogance. Or possibly contempt. No one told Charlie Hustle what to do. To that, it seems right that he never sees his likeness with the people he would hold his contemporaries. I'm not sure what the Hall of Fame expects, which I'm told requires a tighter hold on the moral character of a player. But I'm sure watching people you've outplayed get inducted year in and year out, can't be the best thing for your ego. Perhaps, that's the lesson Pete Rose needs to address. I know I've come to terms with one of my heroes not getting the recognition of his on field life.

No comments:

Post a Comment