Thursday, December 10, 2015

Protect Your Back


What your mother says is true. Your posture is in direct correlation with back pain. Standing up straight does help, if you suffer from upper back problems.
Lately, I’ve been having massive pain in my upper trapezoidal muscle next to the base of my neck. It’s a pinched nerve, because of the day so of operating a heavy camera that has been front heavy. A few things have attributed to the recent pain. One, I gained a lot of gut weight. Your core supports your back. The more crap you eat, the softer your midsection, the more pain in your back to support your front. Women with big tits have this issue, even without a gut.
This pain has been so bad at times I’ve lost feeling in my arms. And I have to admit, it also has to do with where and how I sleep. I like the couch. It should be a firm bed, but I’m too lazy to get to the bedroom, after writing (which contributes to the gut, ya’, can’t get around it). I looked online about neck stretches and came across a doctor who specialized in neck and back, nerve issues. If you constantly hunch over, eventually you will develop a something called Dawager’s back. Which is basically a humpback. Think Mr. Montgomery Burns from “The Simpson.” That alone should scare you. Anyway, my neck’s been killing me too. Despite stretching in the morning. So this doctor recommended an instant relief stretch. You place a towel behind the top of your head, and you grasp both sides and you push your head back on towel until your chin moves naturally towards your chest. Keep it straight as possible with a small stretch. Essentially you are lining up your ears to your shoulders. THIS is the key to why there is so much upper back pain. The way our lazy asses stand is typically leaned forward (LISTEN to your Ma!). Back straight, chin tucked slightly to your chest. You think you look weird (in my case I’ve had terrible posture throughout my life), in reality, this is good posture. This helps the pain in your spine, neck, shoulders and helps you from looking rounded. That’s that hunched look. Which, if you’re a wider person is going to make you look like Donkey Kong. So try this easy stretch. 5 second hold on each attempt. I swear, the pain in my neck and shoulders subsided a little. Now if I get my posture better, the rest will take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment