Saturday, December 19, 2015

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" (2015)


Pretty appropriate title...
After the fiasco of George Lucas’s muddled prequels…we’re back into the future with a push 30 years further. A lot has happened, so the opening crawl says. And we’re now in the midst of something called “The Resistance.” A newer, bigger Death Star type thing has been built and it threatens all the planets. Sound familiar, yep, we’re sort of re-doing “A New Hope.” While not as irritating as “Prometheus” is to the “Alien” world (blatant disregard for…the heart of its characters), this is somewhat familiar and in a little way, sad. Nostalgia isn’t a bad thing. Critics seem to brandish this word as if we’re going to change our history to suit their present lives. I happen to get choked up at seeing all my favorite characters re-introduced to this newer, yet vintage generation. The addition of John Boyega and Daisy Ridley are a godsend. They have…a very naïve, yet sweet thing about them. Our cynical garbage world we live in now seem to dismiss this really fast. But friendship is good enough and welcomed for these people to take over the series. And to see the evolution of their story is going to be wonderful to experience. Since I like them both very much. They’re funny, in that typical Lawrence Kasdan way. Yes, the writer of “Empire Strikes Back” gets another hack at the meat. And it’s nice to feel the balance of dark humor and blatant silliness.
I was never a fan of the 70’s-80’s original. I liked them, the music and the…quaintness of them. But, they seem corny, and the acting really stilted. Great for the time. And I’m not sure what type of lighting in a bottle effect these movies are suppose to have on fans. All I know is the audience I watched it in, black, white, yellow, brown and red…there were fans I wouldn’t think were fans. Is it to mean we’re all nerds deep down inside. I think so. Also, I think there’s something nice about not having to rely on too much of catching up with the present group. You couldn’t watch the prequels now and then the 70’s/80’s and feel consistency. But moving forth, you can. Obviously for age, but also for technology (should’ve stuck to the ‘old’ ways for the prequels, CG will haunt Lucas from those).
I did honestly felt some heart swells in this movie. It touched on a lot of familiarity with these movies. The music, of course, by the great John Williams touches on those days when movies could be that corny and big. And I’m sure you’ve read many reviews that sum it up better than anything I could write, but I will end by saying this…the gist of this movie isn’t just for saps like me who want it to be so good. It’s to remind us…the simpler moments when movies could be adventures. And not some deeper meaning. In this horrid world of internet anger and armchair directors, it is nice to believe in the core of this universe, as director J.J. Abrams has done. He’s gotten a TON of heat for…well, I have no idea what. He’s a very capable director that seems to have stepped away from his comfort zone in order to deliver the goods we so desperately want. He was given the opportunity, where other nerds have only to gripe about the nuance of their beloved Lucas babbling tome. He was able to shed all that detail which was injected in the prequels for God knows what reason, and go for the fun. It does have some heavier, anthropological moments. Which, as just a casual “Star Wars” fan, I did get lost in. But the uber-fan will appreciate (I think). Harrison Ford’s Han Solo gave me goosebumps, as he nailed it pitch perfect of what Han would’ve been now at 70. And Leia…a little thin for Carrie Fisher to haul, but you still see a twinkle of that girl you remembered from years gone by. A soft core, under a battle hardened (now) general.
What can I say? You’ve more than likely already seen it. I’m going to watch it again. I think I would gain some more insight into what’s to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment