Friday, July 10, 2015

Wrapping It Up


As much as I can put a story together in my head based on images I’ve shot…what some people say as “editing in your head” there is a limit to how it all gets slapped together. I genuinely have no clue as to how things will play out. I’ve found out your best gauge is to watch it on a big screen next to a lot of people. It’s not so much to get their reaction, it’s that proximity of watchers that make you REALLY analyze your material. You feel what does or doesn’t work. Some things are obvious. Anything physical actually. If you swing a bat at the camera, chances are the audience will flinch. But, it’s the words that the actors say that mean so much more. The way the audience can sense the reality of the movie based on their performances. It really is an interesting phenomenon when you can feel what people feel about the pacing of your movie. If it drags or rings false, you can almost hear them fidget. When it goes at a nice clip, it moves and you feel a sense of calm. I wish everyone could go through this at least once.
Personally, I dread watching a movie with an audience. All those hours spent nitpicking the smallest details are under the microscope. Not that I care about certain things, like continuity, but I care that audiences care. To an extent. It bothers me when they use it as the sole reason to check out. That we seem amateurish, when in reality most editors would overlook those issues and go for the story. I dunno. Also, I spend a lot of time fine tuning the nuances of a movie too. I’ve got to be careful, since as it is a small tweak, it could mean the difference. Much like in writing. It’s such a fine line to walk. Vague movies, while championed by artists are grounds for lynching by a paying public.
So what’s my point? Oh right, I’ve no idea what the fuck I’m doing. But I feel compelled to do it. I’m not sure, but I think maybe this is how we should function as filmmakers. Shit, even Lucas looked confused as Hell when “Star Wars” did as well as it did.

2 comments:

  1. Good point about tweaking. I've never shot a movie, but writing has a lot of the same hurdles. I sometimes agonize over a certain phrase or piece of dialogue, rewriting it over and over, and I couldn't tell you if people notice it or not. Like you said, they probably only notice the mistakes that I don't care about. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest part is to just walk away. Eesh.

    ReplyDelete