Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Pick Up Shots

No...it's not little jell-o vodka infused one-poppers *crickets*
These are the moments when you let everything settle, and then panic that you didn't get every shot you wanted in your movie.

I don't panic anymore, because...well, I own my own camera and accessories now. So, it is good and bad. Good, because I can just pick up my gear and go shoot. Bad, because I'm lazy as fuck. But...
HUGE but...
I have to weigh this on whether these missing shots will stab me in the side of the gut or not. In other words, can I live without them?

Technically, yes. Officially, in my heart, fuck no.

This is also the reason why a shot list would be helpful. Something I didn't anticipate. In fact, I drew my storyboards the day before I shot on the first day. I've actually gotten pretty good at my illustrations. Looking at the "Poolside" ones, it is pretty accurate to what we covered. On a bigger movie, yah...I should not be so lazy.

Oddly enough, very little if anything went amiss. In fact, everything is there to tell the story. To me, it's the bells and whistles that make a film in to a movie. Insert shots and b-roll cityscapes or whatever seem to bridge gaps between really odd edits. I was putting together a driving scene yesterday. I stressed hard about whether or not footage wouldn't be too jarring, as on one day we shot overcast, the next bright sunny day. I had a superfluous 2 shot that I used to do this with. An added bonus, there is a sound of a car or something that whizzed by. It was PERFECT for the transition, and sure enough, as a viewer, I know people will make that connection. I love it when shit like that happens. Because it saves both time and money. But there are things I still want to cover. This is just me wanting to make it a bigger movie.

I may even put together a teaser trailer...already found some music. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment