Monday, July 6, 2015

Dear Old Dad


My Dad missed all of my little league games as he worked all the time. He didn't use this as an excuse. And quietly, he never asked about the game. Did he not care? No, most likely to relive it through me retelling it wouldn't do it justice. My Mom showed at practically all of them. Never saw her watch a single sporting event on television, unless you count figure skating a sport.
His absence was because he owned his own business. He never shared how much it bothered him that he wasn’t there. But I do recall going to movies with him every Monday. The only day in which the restaurant was closed. He made time when he could. But being the shit kid I was at the time, I was a bit miffed when he missed Boy Scout lad and Dad shit. Looking back, I should’ve defended him in front of the guys who seemed to take pity that my dad worked all the time. Instead, they should’ve been envious of him. The guy owned his own restaurant, knew how to cook, and flat out bought his house. Yes, he paid off the house within a year of buying it. I’m told less. While the rest of these guys who showed up to lad and dad excursions are now underwater on their mortgages, my Pop stayed within his means. That’s really admirable, for a guy who literally grew up in a barn (farm).
That says a lot about someone when they never made a huge deal about things that are important. And asks for so little back. That’s an old fashion sentiment. Being responsible for your kids. Not that just being there, but actually believing that you owe them more than they owe you. My Dad has never asked for anything. Well, except me getting married. And even now I fight him over that type of thing. I respect the guy immensely, but having a wife because it suits him and shuts up my aunt and uncles is not a lingering thought I like visiting.
I’m not sure what my point was, other than this old fashion thought popped into my head. Dads being harassed about the lack of involvement, when providing for them should be enough. It bums me out that the new Hipster dad maybe uses their own children to excuse them from growing up. It is cool now that my Dad is retired, he spends a lot of time with my sister's daughter. Going to fast food joints and just...time. I think as she grows up, she's going to be a punk to him. Then will value that time when...

No comments:

Post a Comment