Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Last Day Of Shooting


So finally wrapped up principal photography of “Nick’s Van.” My second short film after film school. Man…even for 14 minutes, this was an undertaking, and it most definitely would never have been done without my fantastic cast and crew. These people are amazing. When I felt at my most sickened by the process, they were there to keep the mood up. Through horrid conditions, discomfort, and technical difficulties, having finished shooting this project was pushing the boulder up a hill. I’m too tired to comprehend right now. But the undertaking, I sense that it is an accomplishment. I owe so many people. To which a hot meal and my gratitude does no justice. Yes, I sound like that dumb acceptance speech about how this was a labor of love. To which I’m not sure whom this applies to, other than to say…it was a worthwhile experience. My friend Jared is fond of saying “at least you spent it on something cool.” I can’t argue with that. My natural fear of Los Angeles and it’s pitfalls of uncertainty, most aligns with risk. For instance, I had no clue Mentryville’s access to “film” required a permit over the crew past 5 people. I’ve photographed there plenty of times. But…well…it’s their rules. And as uncertain as I am, that’s that. I really feel a swell of emotion when I think of the friends and family from the past who support me and my endeavors. Very few realize the treehouse clubhouse film what I can, dodge cops attitude that prevails through no-budget movies. I think many assume I do this with any type of money. Ahhhh…the illusion of Hollywood. In reality, I am always paranoid of the next thing to shut me down. I do not recommend anyone make a movie this way. It may work a few times, but you will go old and fat stressing out on it.
We had a new crew member today. A wonderful breath of fresh air name Claudia. What she supplied to our set jaded attitude was perspective. She loved the process we were doing. It reminded me of the time when I shot a movie down in El Centro. We had a couple of newbies on set wanting to learn. They had a great time and recall that as one of their fondest memories, although the movie itself was crap.
What more can I say, then it’s on to the next thing after post production on this one.  We have more war stories now, with fresh soldiers to recall the stories with. I love it most when this happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment