Sunday, July 26, 2015

Moving Forward

I'm already working on my next project. A few ideas came to mind previous of shooting "Nick's Van." It's better that I should keep my mind busy, and fine tune this one while writing the next. This way, I can fast track into something else without that depressing lull. I think a lot of working directors do that. They have back to back projects to keep that sinking finished feeling at bay. I'm not finished with this short yet, so I still have a way to go. But I'm happy how far I gotten. In fact, someone mentioned that a rough cut in a week (on film) is a bit insane. Some people who've shot digital have sat on footage for 5 months. It may be because it came too easy for them. Or quick.

Stupid comparison, but I think it's like World War 2 veterans versus Vietnam War veterans. A lot of the WW2 guys had time to detox from the brutality of war on the boat back. The Vietnam vets probably experienced shock when they went from war straight into civilization. Most live in that...feeling they want to be back there. Whilst the WW2 veterans make do with what they can live with. Tough hombres.

I think when you do shoot digitally, the gratification may already be watching the playback on set. So many people already have eyeballs on it. When you shoot film, there's so very little exposure to any of the footage. Here and there you get a sense of what is in front of you. But when people get to see the final, there is an anticipation that doesn't exist when everyone already has made a decision on set. Some even have the scene edited before the day is done. I don't like that in the least. I understand the economics of why, but I'll never agree this is the better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment