Friday, January 29, 2016

Time Capsule Of Your Life

Because I don't have cable or the internet at home, I watch a lot of broadcast network t.v. I've got a great thing going, in that these days they have channels that sort of mimic cable. For instance, here in Los Angeles, they have the Escape channel (which apparently is across the nation) that gives me episodes of "Snapped!" A show about women murdering boyfriends or husbands. This was reserved for the Oxygen network, but now is syndicated to Escape. This station also shows "FBI Files" and old episodes of "American Justice" or "Unsolved Mysteries" Weird that both the hosts for those two shows are dead (the reboot of "Unsolved Mysteries" had Dennis Farina....yeah, we know Robert Stack is long gone). The original "Unsolved..." was spookier than fuck. Maybe it was Robert Stack's voice. Or the fog he emerged from. The music was just fucking scary, y'all:
Anyway, I stumbled onto a new station called "LAFF" I think it's suppose to be a ripoff of "Comedy Central" But it shows OLD syndicated sitcoms in a row. I get a "Night Court" fix followed by "Drew Carey" then "Grace Under Fire" I'm seriously laughed out by the first episode of "Grace..."

The most alarming part is when I stick around for the closing credits. I see that "Night Court" aired in 1984. FUCK!! I was in 4th grade. We JUST moved into our home in Cincinnati. 31 years ago we're talking and watching the show...it's weird. Because this aired as I was just settling into school with all rich White kids, from the previous school of angry Black kids. As this show was being broadcasted, things seemed so...simple. Then I started to fast forward, and thought...there was no internet at the time. No solid cable t.v. No social media, blogging, Twitter, nothing...just three channels. And "Night Court" was on the air. It threw me for a loop because you can see the sign of the times in the episode. Which, by the way, the comedy STILL holds up

Watching these shows now...sort of puts my life into perspective. Other than I'm now an old loser eating dinner while watching...what is essentially "TV Land" and drinking sparkling water. It also doesn't seem like that long ago. Which is a really odd way to gauge the time you have on Earth. What does the next 30 years bring? Life is so odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment