Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Super 8mm Film

Hold onto your Super 8mm cameras folks, cause Kodak is giving it a rebirth at the end of 2016. Yes, REAL film again for the kid in all of us. Not just for hipsters, BUT young kids who enjoy the limitations of...film.

I don't think this is a generational thing, but I should probably mention that...the waiting process of Super 8mm was part of the joy I had in shooting it. Keep in mind, VHS had been invented and camcorders were already destroying the home movie market. Super 8mm was niche when I was a kid. But I dug one up in the newspaper, took two buses out to the country and got my first Super 8mm camera from a guy who had it stored in a barn. He also gave me a splicer and a viewer too. I was a filmmaker. It was amazing to see frame advance to frame and realize that I was making a flip book. NOTHING is as exhilarating as waiting for what we shot to come back, and then threading it through the viewer and cranking the handle to watch the movement. NOTHING. Digital destroyed that magic for us. Thank God, they're bringing it back. Because I am convinced it will embed the imagination back into children. Their creativity will be much more...tuned. It's going to fix the gap of apathy I think the millenials abandoned.

This is great news.

No comments:

Post a Comment