Friday, May 29, 2020

At The End Of The Day

This phrase needs to go.
I do it sometimes. My French neighbor when I lived in Sherman Oaks would say it instead of "um."
What it signifies is a person acquiescing an opinion.
"At the end of the day we all need to look out for one another."
Yeah, no shit.

It's similar to the "bottom line" but...this is much harsher...
"The bottom line is, you're broke and your wife took your house"

In other words, summing something up to get to the root of a very long conversation.

I mean, "at the end of the day" doesn't irk me to the extent of wanting to gut punch someone but it's very dismissive to someone who doesn't have an opinion and doesn't care about yours. It's weak and passive. Conversations are about debate...sometimes. Not to always agree on something. Though what bugs me recently is that people don't understand this...be interested =be interesting.

Here's the conversation before...
"I dunno, something about Phil irks me"

Other person: "Phil's always been cool to me"

Hey idiot...someone just told you Phil is acting weird, you dismiss the person and instill your own opinion about Phil. Who gives a flying fuck how Phil treats you, BE CURIOUS about how he's effecting others. See how that works, you supposed-empathetic douche?

I use "by the way" as my "um" which I need to stop, because it's annoying me.
It's all pretending like we speak the same language. In reality, it's puffed up non essential dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment