Wednesday, February 4, 2015

They Do Read It

So I got feedback for my feature script that I wanted to sell off. I was surprised.

Nothing prepares you for what people tell you when they read your material. I guess if they know you, they expect something. And it is a bit telling what they will tell you. And you can rake what you think it means about you as a person...

Friend: "I read your script."
Me: "Oh, sweet, thanks for taking the time."
Friend: "Can I make a suggestions?"
Me: "I wouldn't be sending it to you if I didn't value your opinion."
Friend: "check spelling. One of your characters name is wrong. You added a "T"...making "Chris" into "Christ." Very distracting, took me out of it.
Me: "Oh yeah, no problem. Easy fix. Sorry about that."
Friend: "Why should you be sorry?"
Me: "Well it seemed to ruin the whole thing for you."
Friend: "Oh no. It just...things like the pull people out. They get distracted and reminded they're reading. You don't want that."
Me: "Oh I completely agree."
Friend: "also, punch up the romantic tension between your lead guy and girl."
Me: "They're running from mutants."
Friend: "Yeah, but you have them kiss in the end, and there's no indication he found her attractive in the least."
Me: "Done. I've got pages to play with."
Friend: "Bring it up to date. With the technology. short wave radio, satellite communication. The new military, ya' know?"
Me: "I know NOTHING about that stuff. I was just making shit up."
Friend: "uh-huh."
Me: "okay...put in some email or interwebs or something?"
Friend: "Something."
Me: "That it?"
Friend: "Yeah. Can I say something?"
Me: "Of course."
Friend: "I was surprised."
Me: "Oh?"
Friend: "Yeah, I was expecting...like...technical. We been friends for a while. You have technical knowledge. Was expecting it to be...technical."
Me: "You mean...like boring?"
Friend: "Well, yeah...something like a manual. I was surprised. You really paint visually images."
Me: "Oh wow, that's really high praise. I think"
Friend: "Oh no it is. Like it wasn't dry. The read is almost poetic. All action. It felt very 'Terminator'"
Me: "Now you're bullshitting me." (he worked on "Terminator 3" & "Terminator: Salvation")
Friend: "No. It's the kind of action stuff I like reading."
Me: "Oh man. Thanks. Thank you very much"
Friend: "Yeah, but romantic tension & name spelling. And update tech."
Me: "Oh for sure. Thanks!"

They do really read your stuff. Professionals do..for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment