Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Heidi, The Make-Up Lady

EVERY single film set, every guy tries to hook up with the makeup girl. They are:
1) really hot
2) have a lot of free time to chat
3) flirtatious
4) fun and the most likely to be up for hooking up

Over a decade back, I recall one named Heidi. We'd faced long hours on a church set. It was grueling. Heidi was our makeup girl, hired by Lorin (the director). She was SMOKING hot. Buxom and tiny with cornsilk blonde hair and gentle green eyes. She easily could've been a model. She was also fresh off the makeup school boat. Really enthusiastic. And eager. With a touch of naivete.

Something happens on long shoots where people just start to "get" each other. The comedy gels and you just share a lot of similar patois. Heidi and I were like that. Sure I wanted to bang her. But, I valued her presence on set more than anything. We'd have jokes for one another. Talked shit about people. And I'd recall anecdotes of working on shitty projects. We became close enough. AND we ran into each other on four other student films.

I missed her being on sets. Even more than some of my immediate crew. Having an attractive crew member on set...focuses dudes. Some actresses HATE it (as was the case of this other short film I shot years later) because they aren't the center of attention. Others think it's a distraction. The second assistant camera person is most likely a girl. I think it's an unspoken film set thing. Every one I've ever seen was one. Then a 1st assistant camera person finally chimed up and told me, it's because they are usually the clapper/slate too. And most likely will show up in dailies. And we're a buncha' ugly fucks.

I learned later Heidi was married, and about to have a kid. I found her on Facebook recently...same smiling eyes. Beautiful face as ever. Gained about 50 pounds of weight and could give a shit. Movie business will blimp up women after they spit 'em out. I prefer the happier one after the fact then the miserable celery eating one during.

I don't recommend you hook up with make-up girls on movie sets. Unless you're just shooting for a few days. A feature length could lead to really bad blood and it's hard to escape. Especially on location.

No comments:

Post a Comment